Greek AF summer food and wine matching for tonight’s dinner with a modern and delicious pét-nat (lightly sparkling) Retsina by the master that is @kechris and homemade Spanakorizo (spinach & rice) boosted with the sunny colours of carrots and red peppers and the signature aroma of dill!
Have you ever had a Retsina? If yes, what did you think?
If the crickets were singing and the temperature was about 10 degrees higher, I would have fooled myself that I was in Greece! Spanakorizo is a signature Greek dish that is one of my favourites and I played with the recipe a little bit today – if you want to give it a whirl, check the preparations steps below:
✅ Ingredients for 4 people
– 500g spinach
– 1 large red pepper
– 2 thin carrots
– 2 onions
– 1/2 bunch of spring onions
– 200g wild rice
– 150ml white wine (I used Retsina!)
– 60ml olive oil
– 3 large spoons of dill ❇️ I used a wide casserole and it worked out great but if you have a deep pan, it will work perfectly as well!
1. Cut the onions in small pieces and put them in the casserole/pan in medium heat
2. Add the olive oil
3. Leave them to it until they start getting softer and add the white wine
4. Cut the carrots, the spring onions and the pepper in relatively large pieces so that they get cooked but still keep their crunchy texture and add them to the mix and mix everything well
5. Add the wild rice and give another good mix
6. Add salt and pepper to taste
7. Start putting the spinach into the mix in small parts while keep mixing everything well
8. Add 400ml of water (or double the quantity of rice) and mix everything well
9. Leave the mix to cook for about 20mins and when ready sprinkle with fresh dill. Close the lid and leave for at least 30-60 mins before serving
10. Serve with a generous dollop of Greek yoghurt and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to add a little shine. Ideally with a chilled Retsina in hand!